Jacksonville is nicknamed The First Coast, since it is one of the first major cities in Florida as you come in through Interstate 95 from Georgia. Located in Northeast Florida, Jacksonville enjoys mild winters, with an occasional flurry or some frost, which we like to call Florida Snow. 🙂
History of Jacksonville
The history of Jacksonville dates back well before the Civil War times. In fact, according to archaeologists, the Timucuan Indians lived here and it is believed their culture developed 500 B.C. Did you know Jacksonville was named after Andrew Jackson and Mr. Jackson had never stepped foot into the town? Well, gosh, if I had a town named after me, I would at least go take a peek. Guess Andrew was just too busy becoming the 7th president of the United States.
The Great Fire of 1901, destroyed more than 2,368 in about a 146 block range! The fire started as a boiler explosion at a candle factory and spread to a mattress factory. Those mattresses were filled with spanish moss, which apparently burns pretty darn quick. The Great Fire of 1901 really changed the landscape of Jacksonville to more of a modern look that we see today.
- Duval County Public Schools
- Duval County Public Schools Attendance Zones
- List of private schools in Jacksonville
Things to do
- Boat Ramps in Jacksonville
- Biking and Hiking Trails in Jacksonville
- Attractions and Events
- Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL Football)
- Jacksonville Armada FC (Soccer)
- Jacksonville Suns (Minor league baseball)
- Jacksonville Sharks (Arena football)
- Jacksonville Giants (basketball)
- Florida Drivers License in Duval County
- Duval County Clerk of Court
- Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office
- Jacksonville Offender Watch
- Jacksonville crime stats and mapping
- City of Jacksonville
If you’re looking for homes for sale in Jacksonville, check out that link. If you are needing an agent to help you with your relocation, find out more on my about me page. I would love to help make your move to our area a great move.